Tepogue

Tepogue
My level 99 Monk from Final Fantasy XI

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Back in the Guard again.

Once I was officiall back in to hobby mode for 40k my first choice was to pick an army. I lucked up and found a copy of the current Imperial Guard Codex at a local used book store. So I pulled out my Death Corp of Krieg from there spot in storage. I havn't used them since the Battle for Armageddon which was 7+ years ago so they were out of date. \
I got an invite to play at a local gamers house and did a 2 v 1 game. 2x 1000 points of guard VS 2000 Space Wolves. It was a really enjoyable game. I kept making mistakes thinking of 3rd rules but the guys were nice enough to help me over the rough spots.
I then managed to get in a 2v2 game at Dicehead after spending the evening watching several games. Wow has 40k changed. So many transports... and Nothing but Space Marines everywhere. I learned that my infantry guard suck now. This new Kill Point system is broken. 1 point per squad. A Space Marine squad worth 150 + points is 1 KP. My 3 Imperial Guard squads costing 50 points each are 1 KP per squad. So The SM player only has to kill 2 IG squads to get 2 points. This is so broken. I wondered how come Deathwing armies were winning games but a 1500 point Deathwing squad is maybe 6-7 KP. My IG are 15+ for the same points. I just decided to give up on my IG for now. I don't have the $$$ to change my IG to a Mech. Vet Army with Vendattas.
I had already commited to play in the upcoming 'Ard Boyz tournament which had the bonus benefit of being free, but it's 2500 points.
So after these revalations I decided it was time to reach into my minature collection and pull another army out of storage.
Hmm Tau - I have 2000 points and my codex is still usable, but I never tuned my Tau into a competive army. It was more of a demo army. Pretty much just 1 of each unit. No way to make it up to 2500 easily.
Space Marines: I have who knows how many points of SM lying around. I did a custom chapter years ago. Called the Omega Marines. I simply used the Ultramarines transfers turned upsidedown to give my the Omega Symbol. Since it was a custom chapter I would buy the special rules for various codexes. I played them as Vanilla, Space Wolf, Blood Angels, Black Templars, Dark Angels, etc all I needed was the Codex. Of all my Codexes only Dark Angels was still valid. But I need the core SM codex to make it work. I just decided that in my 3 visits to Dicehead all I saw was SM, 10+ games watched all SM vs SM. I'm  selling off my marines and just not playing them.
Tyranids - my models are so out of date and from reading the various forums Nids just suck atm. If current players could see a 2nd Ed codex or the even better 3rd Ed build your own hive fleet lists they would pull out pitchforks and torches and head to GW HQ demanding a rewrite.
Chaos - I know I said no SM. but Chaos always played differently enough for me to consider them. Then I looked up the embarsement of a codex they have. . . . WTF screw this crap.
Sisters of Battle - Thought briefly about this but, sold my sisters on ebay instead, \
Grey Knights - New codex just came out and I've seen 4+ grey knight armies and no cash to buy new models to /off list. Plus they were SM.
Dark Eldar - I have enough points but all my raiders and ravagers are broken from moving and storage. Plus I hate transporting this army. Stuff always breaks. /off list
Eldar - I really enjoyed Eldar back in 2nd edition. Dangerous Farseers. Exarchs that were extremely cusomisable. etc, etc. But I just never felt they were good enough in 3rd Ed and I don't have the vehicles to bring them up to snuff in 5th.
Necrons - not enough models and my Star Wars Storm Trooper paint job just didn't turn out like I wanted.
Demons - I found a copy of the codex at teh used book store, but after looking at it and my models. It just didnt work. I used to have a Nurgle CSM army that I took to the 1997 Grand Tournament and came in 9th place overall with. But that was 2nd Ed and Nurgle has taken a hit ever since then. So Demons are out. PLus all mine on square bases and I didn't want issues with the old base size debate.
So all this lead me back to Orks. I built a Speed Freak List for the Battle of Armageddon Codex and they still looked viable.

No comments:

Post a Comment