Tepogue

Tepogue
My level 99 Monk from Final Fantasy XI

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Week in review.

It's been one heck of a week. I'm back in college full time. 17 hours if you don't count my 3 labs or 26 hours if you do. It's daunting but I got a letter stating that Wacker Poly will be giving me an interview sometime in the next couple of months and if I don't screw up the interview I may get a job offer. Will be so nice to know I have a $21/hr job waiting at the end of this 16 months of college, if I can get and keep a B average. Would be nice to just get ahead. I think we blew through 3-4K out of our savings just this summer trying to stay afloat. First the tornado and then not having a working kitchen plus car repairs have just killed us. I sold just over 1K of my warhammer models in the last month to keep us from draining more out of savings.
Alas school is a hive of scum and villainy, I started getting sick during my last class of the day on Tuesday and by the time I got home I was running 101 degree fever. I kind of collapsed into the bed and spent a horrible night. Thankfully I recovered enough to get back to class on Thursday, but my wife started to get sick and has ended up with a bad upper respiratory infection, probably broncitis. Took her to doctor but really can only wait it out.
Hobbywise, I'm pretty much done with my Orks. I spent some of my ebay monies and bought another Black Reach set worth of Orks. I've got all but the Nobz painted. I've decided that the old Speed Freeks are dead and gone. The best way for me personally is just to go 3x Battlewagons with maybe a few trukks in support. Unless GW releases a 5th codex for them soon, I probably will not add to the army. Too many units I have are just not up to what I want ( Meganobs, looking at you along with Trukk Boyz, Burnas, Tankbustas, Shoota Trakks.)
Originally when I decided to come back to the hobby, I bought a Fantasy Starter, but every time I went to Dicehead no one was playing. Even 2 tournaments I showed up just to watch didn't happen. But thanks to a post on TNwargamers. I decided to head on up to Dicehead today, but fate didn't make it easy or guilt free. My wife has broncitis, I thought I had her all set up to just rest this afternoon, but 5 minutes before I wanted to walk out the door, she starts yelling about water in the kitchen. Our brand new kitchen, which thanks to my in laws, was covered in water. Somehow the sink drain got stopped up and the damn dishwasher upchuked all over the floor. And in the process of me trying to clean it up and get the lines unclogged, I broke one of the pipe connections under the sink. I hate this new super light weight plastic crap you find a Lowes/Home Despot. But once we got it cleaned up, my wife said go anyway, you have had the new rules since December and still havn't gotten even 1 game in. GO and fix the sink when you get back or tomorrow. So I went.
I gave Phil a quick call, since he had invited me to team up with him for the team tournament that was a week or so ago. Which I had to decline due to the student at my wifes school dying and we went to the memorial service instead. Phil said he would head to Dicehead, this way I knew at least 1 player would be there. Anyway, I got into a 2v2 game and I just can't remember peoples names anymore. It's crappy, but after a few times I'll get better. It was Skaven(me) and Orcs VS Tomb Kings and Lizardmen. I've got to say that Fantasy has changed even more than 40k, I really wonder why people even bother putting terrain on the table. I was doing old style movement. going around low walls and avoiding forests. Pfft the other guys blew through it like it wasn't there and rereading the rules tonight thats pretty much how it is. Blocking line of sight - gone. they were shooting through melees to hit units. The tomb king player ate me alive. his 20 man archer block pounding out 40 shots a turn always with 5+ to hit. Just decimated my Skaven. I'd only brought 1 Chieftain and 1 - level 2 Warlock as my only characters since it was just a 1000 point list. He had a level 4 just on steroids, back by a Casket. It was insane. One magic phase was his 12 dice to our 4 dispel dice. He just stomped all over us, I don't know my old Skaven feel throughly beaten at the moment. Ratling guns are junk. price increase and having to roll to hit now, makes them far too expensive and with this new line of sight and ignoring trees/walls and pretty much everything else for blocking LOS I'm just not sure where to go. 13^2(my old army list becasise I got the whole thing to 169 models with multiples of 13 on almost everything) Is trash now. Plus in the middle of the game I get a frantic message from my wife. Our dog had a seizure while I was playing, theres nothing that can be done about them. We tried medicine, but the treatment is phenobarbatol and under that medicine the dog sleeps 22 hours a day and walks around drunk stumbling into stuff the other 2 hours. Its just not worth it. So I spent the last half of the game feeling guilty and the Tomb Kings player just got on my nerves. I made a quick measurement of 13 inches between my Stormvermin and his skeletons. He HAD to measure it again and loudly announce that it was 14 inches. Then mearuse again and again and walk to our side of the table to show me, and it was 13.5 inches. I rathered rudely told him to "Back Off" I'd already decided to charge some Skinks instead since they were closer. I do regret my tone, but I hope I got the point across to just drop it after the first time.
I left the store hurridly after the game. Phil showwed up while we were playing and I hope he got a good game in. The Orc and Goblin player wanted to play against his Beastmen. Fingers crossed that I didn't lead him astray.

No comments:

Post a Comment